CfE Es and Os: Social Studies
CfE Experiences and Outcomes
Using film in a range of classroom activities can contribute to wide learning in the curriculum and deliver many Experiences and Outcomes.
Below is a list - by no means exhaustive - of some of the experiences and outcomes you can help deliver in Social Studies through work with film.
Social Studies Es and Os
- Develop an understanding of the history, heritage and culture of Scotland. Explore and evaluate different types of sources and evidence.
- Presentation skills - oral, written, multimedia.
- I can make a personal link to the past by exploring items or images connected with important individuals or special events in my life.
- By exploring places, investigating artefacts and locating them in time, I have developed an awareness of the ways we remember and preserve Scotland’s history.
- I can interpret historical evidence from a range of periods to help to build a picture of Scotland’s heritage and my sense of chronology.
- I can use evidence to recreate the story of a place or individual of local historical interest.
- I can compare and contrast a society in the past with my own and contribute to a discussion of the similarities and differences.
- I can evaluate the changes which have taken place in an industry in Scotland’s past and can debate their impact.
- I have explored how people lived in the past.
- I can compare aspects of people’s daily lives in the past with my own by using historical evidence.
- I have experimented with imaginative ways such as modelling and drawing, to represent the world around me, the journeys I make and the different ways I can travel.
- By comparing the lifestyle and culture of citizens in another country with those of Scotland, I can discuss the similarities and differences.
Social Studies and Film Activities
For more information about BGE Social Studies Es and Os achieved through film education and suggested activities, check out our guide to BGE Social Studies Es and Os Met Using Film.
You can find worksheets for film activities that particularly suit Social Studies in our Classroom Resources page: