CfE Es and Os: Expressive Arts
CfE Experiences and Outcomes: Expressive Arts
Using film in a range of classroom activities can contribute to wide learning in the curriculum and deliver many Experiences and Outcomes.
Many do not realise that film is an expressive art in itself, and therefore is perfectly placed to support and enhance the work of the other expressive arts subjects. Show films to act as a stimulus, or that demonstrate the specific art, or film the process or performance to use for reflection. Why not combine them all? Film a dramatic piece that incorporates a dance, set it in a backdrop of artwork, then compose the music for the final piece.
Below is a list - by no means exhaustive - of some of the experiences and outcomes you can help deliver through work with film.
Expressive Arts Es and Os
Participation in performances and presentations
- I have used the skills I have developed in the expressive arts to contribute to a public presentation/performance.
- I have experienced the energy and excitement of being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances.
Art and design
- I have experimented with a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, using my understanding of their properties.
- I can create and present work that shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts.
- I can use the visual elements and concepts with sensitivity to express qualities and relationships and convey information, thoughts and feelings. I can use my skills and creativity to generate original ideas in my expressive and design work.
- Through creating a range of reference material, I can demonstrate my skills of observing and recording and apply them to work in other areas of the curriculum.
- Inspired by a range of stimuli, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through activities within art and design.
- While working through a design process in response to a design brief, I can develop and communicate imaginative design solutions.
- I can respond to the work of artists and designers by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work.
- I can apply my performance skills to dance with accuracy, control, body awareness, sensitivity and movement flow. I can communicate my artistic intention and take account of different audience groups.
- I can apply theatre arts technology to add excitement and drama to performances.
- Inspired by a range of stimuli, I can express my ideas, thoughts and feelings through creative work in dance.
- I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work.
- I have the freedom to choose and explore how I can use my voice, movement, and expression in role play and drama.
- I enjoy creating, choosing and accepting roles, using movement, expression and voice.
- I can demonstrate sensitivity, precision and depth in the portrayal of a character, conveying relationships and situations in a variety of settings and to different audiences.
- Inspired by a range of stimuli, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through drama.
- In response to a variety of stimuli, I can use my understanding of characterisation to create characters using different approaches, making use of voice, movement and language. I can present my work to an audience.
- I use drama to explore real and imaginary situations, helping me to understand my world.
- Having developed ideas from a range of stimuli, I can contribute to devising, rehearsing and presenting drama or scripts.
- I can analyse technical aspects of drama and scripts, make informed judgments and express considered opinions on my own and others’ work.
- I have the freedom to use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound and rhythm.
- I can use my voice, musical instruments or music technology to improvise or compose with melody, rhythm, harmony, timbre and structure.
- I can use music technology to compose, record and produce music and to enhance performance.
- Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities.