Men at Work — Fausto Caviglia , 2008
It is early morning in an unspecified city and we are presented with familiar scenes of a city waking up. We are introduced to one of the main protagonists, Luca, as he goes about his morning routine and it gradually becomes apparent that he is in no particular rush to go out to work. Luca has a conversation with what appears to be another businessman, Michelle, and we learn that, in fact, the reality they present is totally at odds with the truth of the situation.
Modern Languages teachers will find a bespoke set of lesson ideas for this film here.
Classroom ActivitiesPrint All
- Clip Details
- What devices does the director use to make us aware that it is morning?
- Where and when is the scene set? How do you know?
- What devices are used to create Luca’s false work scenario?
- What devices are used to create Michelle’s false work scenario?
- Are there any differences in the extent that each character goes to in order to create a false impression?
- The situation is presented objectively – what do you think of what they are doing? Is it ethical? Professional? Why / why not?
- What message do you think the director is trying to communicate? Is he successful?
- Do we like these characters? Why / why not?
- How does the reality of the situation resonate with the current and recent past work scenario for many people both in Britain and across the world? What issues has this created for people working from home in Britain?
- Are these different to problems / challenges that are faced in other countries? What makes you say that?
- Truth vs reality: are there any modern-day situations where people create a false picture of their life (specifically when using social media)? Why do people do this? What are the impacts of this?
- What job would you like to do?
- Imagine a day at work in your chosen career – write out your daily itinerary or a diary account of your first day at work.
- What would the conversation be like that Luca and Michelle are having – write it out in English.
- Prepare, script and act out an interview scenario (in English or another language).
- Write out and record a telephone conversation two people might have about a common project.
HEALTH AND WELLBEING
- With a partner discuss what you think is important in an interview.
- What kind of questions would be asked in an interview?
- What makes a good employer?
- What skills and attributes are they looking for in employees?
|Year of Production||2008|
|Curriculum Areas||Modern Languages, Literacy and English|
|Country of Origin||Italy|
|Medium / Content||Live Action, Fiction, Colour, Sound, Subtitles|
|Themes||Feelings, Relationships, Work / Ambition|
|Age Group||S1-S3, S4-S6|